- The historic context of the site was considered, as the project is positioned in the middle of a prestigious uniformed campus. The landscape helps unite the architecture.
- The design protects floodplain function, lifting the building high up off the ground and allowing for a landscape amenity below.
- 14,000 square feet of open space was offered to the campus with landscape by raising the building off the ground.
- 17 trees were planted.
- Fertilizer and pesticides were minimized.
Carbon, Energy + Air
- The shaded canopy and fountain can cool the outdoor space by 10 – 15 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The project uses regional materials.
- Exposure to environmental tobacco smoke is minimized with prohibited smoking on-site.
- The project provides optimal site accessibility, safety, and wayfinding.
- Outdoor fitness, academic classes, and educational tours take place on the landscape surrounding the pavilion.