- Located on the Brazos riverfront, the landscape design for the McLane stadium improves the ecological and social potentials of the site.
- The design accommodates flood plain function, conserving an aquatic ecosystem.
- The project redevelops a degraded site and restores ecological conditions.
- Geotextiles and native plants are used for erosion control.
- A predesign site assessment was conducted allowing for the conservation of healthy soils and the amendment of others.
- Invasive species were controlled and managed on-site. Native plant species were chosen and planted with consideration to reference communities and water usage. This fostered habitat creation and biodiversity.
- Plants are allowed to go to seed/flower life.
- Annual planting was avoided.
- 855 trees were planted on-site.
- The site mitigates runoff while allowing storm water to be featured as an amenity.
- Trees potential for intercepting water equals 425,000 gallons, which is equal to the water used by 425 American residents in one day.*
- Outdoor water usage is reduced.
- The quality of existing water bodies was improved.
- The project will respond exceptionally to a major flood.
Carbon, Energy + Air
- The project sources regional materials.
- The trees sequester 102,000 pounds of carbon annually, which offsets 12.5 cars per year.**
- The Brazos River is optimized as a cooling device for the outdoor space which can reach temperatures of 104 degrees Fahrenheit. People seeking respite from the heat can jump in the water.
- Since the project’s implementation, property values have increased. The Brazos River in Waco, TX has become a recreational destination.
- By using the Brazos River as an amenity, fans can purchase a seasonal boat slip for $3,000 a season.
- The project offers optimum accessibility, safety, and wayfinding for guests.
- On game day, the site has upwards of 55,000 visitors.
- The project includes 475 on-site tailgating spaces and 18 boat slips.
- A new tradition, called “sailgating” or tailgating on boats at the edge of the stadium, has created a playful and fun new way to prepare for a football game.