- 150 trees were planted, including palo verde, European olive, mesquite, and California sycamore.
- Canary Island pine trees along Jefferson Avenue were saved.
- Low water usage planting was used on-site.
- There are seven roof terraces installed on campus to reduce the heat island effect and provide enjoyment to the users.
- Water is reclaimed for landscape irrigation.
- The design reduces outdoor water by using low-water plant species.
Carbon, Energy + Air
- The planting strategy reduces temperatures in urban areas.
- The project reduces light pollution by using cutoff lights.
- Exposure to environmental tobacco smoke was minimized by prohibiting smoking on-site.
- The trees sequester 18,000 pounds of carbon annually, which offset an average car driving 24,486 miles.**
- Maintenance savings and longevity were considered in the design. A maintenance booklet was given to the clients after installation to ensure proper upkeep.
- Materials not needed on-site were recycled.